- Nov, 2017. (Accepted). Review of Translation: A Very Short Introduction, by Matthew Reynolds, 2016. The Language Magazine (21)
- 31th. July. 2017. Book Review of Community Translation, by Taibi, M & Ozolins, U, 2016. BAAL Newsletter 111 (Summer).
- 5th. July. 2017. Book Review of Bilingualism as Interactional Practices. Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press, By Joseph Gafaranga, 2016. Multilingua – De Gruyter.
- 19th. May. 2017. Nominated for Student Placement of the Year as part of 2017 Make a Difference Awards, HLSS School – Manchester Metropolitan University.
- 24th. Mar. 2017. ‘Code-switching as a token of emotional acculturation: the case of Arabic-English bilinguals in Manchester’. Paper presented at the Language, Mobility and Belonging: Linguistic Anthropology Conference, Oxford: Somerville College.
- Jan, 2017. Review of Social Interactions in Second Language Chat Rooms, by Christopher Jenks, 2014. BAAL Newsletter 110 (Winter). Here
- 18th. Oct, 2016. ‘Do bilinguals express different emotions in different languages?‘, Language on the Move. You can find the article here too.
- 1st. Oct, 2016. ‘Arabic and its varieties: Dialects or languages?‘ Al-araby Al-jadid Paper. (The article produced in Arabic).
- 3rd. Sep, 2016. ‘We’re just not used to it so it’s easier to do it in English’: Negotiating a stance-based ‘space’ through Arabic-English Code-switching. Paper presented at 49th BAAL Meeting, Anglia Ruskin University, Cambridge. Link to Slides_Here.
27th. July, 2016. ‘Code-Switching and Identity Construction among Arabic-English Bilinguals: A stance perspective’. LAEL PG Conference 2015 procedure, Vol (10). Download here.
- 11th June. 2016. ‘Living in two languages: worlds of late bilingualism‘ in the Academic Space – Media Diversified >> Find out what others thought of it HERE
- 27th May, 2016. Poster Presentation: ‘Arabic-English Code-Switching: An integrative practice among sojourners/immigrants in Manchester’ (View Poster here). New Plurilingual pathways for integration: Immigrants and language learning in the 21st Century. Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh, UK.
- 16th May, 2016. Heat winner of the Institutional #3MT Thesis Competition. Manchester Metropolitan University, England, UK.
- May, 2016. ‘Arabic Dialects’ in Languages of the World article for Babel – The Language Magazine (15), 46-48. Here’s the full article.
- 7th, May, 2016. Introduction of Amreeka in Beyond Babel 2 Programme – Part of Humanities in Public festival (2015-16) at MMU. Here’s a review of the event, and another here.
- 27th. Jan. 2016. ‘Code-switching and social identity construction among Arabic-English bilinguals’. Invited talk at the departmental Linguistic Circle. Manchester Metropolitan University, Manchester.
- A committee member of the 8th MMU Postgraduate Conference, Manchester, UK.
- My blog entry about what it is like to be a ‘late-bilingual’.
- Oct, 2015. ‘You Express Your Emotions in the Way, in English’: A Stance-based Approach towards Code-Switching and Social Identity Construction. IJLAL, 1 (Special Issue: Bilingual Education) pp. 19-29. Click here
- 13th. July, 2015. ‘Code-Switching and Identity Construction among Arabic-English Bilinguals’. Paper presented at 10th International LAEL conference, Lancaster University.
- May, 2015. Code-Switching and Identity Construction among Arabic-English Bilinguals. A mini presentation for the 3MT Competition. Manchester: Manchester Metropolitan University.
- Ben Nafa, H. (2013) Code-Switching Among Arabic-English Adult Bilinguals in the UK: Syntactic Structures, and Pragmatic Functions. Unpublished M.A. dissertation. University of Manchester.
- Placement on BBC Arabic Roula Ayoubi Work Experience programme, with the BBC Arabic service in London, 6th. Mar – 17th. Mar, 2017
- Volunteer Arabic Teacher at the International Society, 6th. Feb, 2017 – 8th. May. 2017.
- Volunteer, Arabic translator & Editor at Translators Without Borders, part of the Rapid Response Team (July, 2016-Present). Check my profile here and here. I’ve been also quoted on their twitter account here.
- Volunteer Translator at TED (June, 2016- Present). I mainly translate TED talks from English to Arabic. Check Sample Translation HERE.
- Volunteer Interpreter at British Red Cross (Feb, 2016-Present). My main role if to use my language skills (Arabic- MSA/regional dialects & English) to liase and offer support to help Arabic-speaking refugees who are settling in to a new environment (Greater Manchester).
- Teaching assistant at JUSTTEACHERS LTD (May, 2016 – September, 2016) + Completion of an online course on Autism. Click here for certificate
- Brilliant Club Tutor _year 9/10 pupils (16th. Jan, 2016 – 4th.May, 2016) at Albion Academy – Salford- Manchester, UK.Below is the handbook I designed for this placement (Click here to view it). It was titled: ‘The hidden link between who we are and how we speak’; generally based on my PhD project and touches upon some of the areas I’m interested in language variation & Identity.
- (Arabic) Language & Teaching Assistant at a DPSI preparatory Course at The Manchester College (26th. Nov, 2015 – 28th. Apr, 2016).
- Humanities School Outreach Ambassador (Dec, 2014 – Present).
- Nominated for two related awards: 1- HLSS Schools’ Outreach Ambassador of the year & 2- HLSS Schools’ Outreach Mentor of the year 2016.
- Routes Into Languages Ambassador – North West (October 2015 – Present). I give ‘why study languages’ talks and Arabic taster sessions.
- My experience with the Homework Club scheme (Autumn term, 2015).
- Event Assistant at Humanities in Public Festival (Oct, 2014-May, 2016).